View slides from our Center of Nursing Excellence (CNE) presentation.Every hospital has the capacity to become a CNE, because nurses understand what they need to succeed and the infrastructure and resources are available at little to no cost.With a comprehensive assessment, The Atticus Group, Inc. will provide you with a detailed workplan based on your existing resources.
RN Talent Management Checklist
RN Talent Management
Research shows that patient reaction to and satisfaction with nursing care is the most important predictor of overall satisfaction with hospital care (Williams, 1993)
What is Talent Management? In a nutshell, it is a term to describe development and support of RNs from their first day as a new employee through retirement. A talent management strategy is essential because top talent drives business performance. Here are just a few of the ways high performing, professional RNs drive business performance in a hospital…
Length of Stay
Quality of Care
Cost per Discharge
Managing nursing talent requires conscious, deliberate action. Administration, nursing, human resources, marketing and non-profit foundations all contribute to attracting and retaining RNs. A comprehensive nursing strategic plan is required to ensure each department contributes their expertise in order to attract and retain the best of the best RNs. The result is improved profitability and national recognition as an exceptional nursing organization.
Your organization undoubtedly has many talent management strategies in place, however, they may not be integrated into a comprehensive package. Our job is to identify gaps and facilitate strategic planning with all the involved departments. Many nationally recognized organizations have packaged their nursing development programs into a Nursing Institute or Center of Excellence. Donors often make large contributions to receive the naming rights. For example, Massachusetts General has the Norman Knight Nursing Center for Clinical and Professional Development and Cedars Sinai has the Geri and Richard Brawerman Nursing Institute.
The Atticus Group will help you develop a Nursing Center of Excellence utilizing only your current resources. If desired, we can also help you access outside funding for your nursing talent management project.
A comprehensive Nursing Center of Excellence will have all the components to:
- Nursing web pages
- Social networking
- Unique nursing brand
- Pre employment assessments: model your top performers
- Behavioral-based interviews "hire the smile, teach the skill"
- Behavioral and competency-based job descriptions & performance evaluations
- Align organizational goals with workforce planning
- Onboarding: evidence-based, new graduate residency/transition program
- Skill and behavioral competencies for staff and leaders
- Structured Career Planning Tool
- Traditional and e-mentoring programs at every career level
- Succession planning and leadership development
- Resources to provide frequent, clear and consistent feedback
- Align goals with business strategies
- Behavioral-based performance evaluations
- Engage local businesses in nursing initiatives
- Utilize internal and external marketing strategies to offer frequent and meaningful recognition
- Structured platform for manager/employee communication
- Nursing Center of Excellence or Professional Nursing Institute
- Nursing Leadership Academy
- Facilitate ongoing communication between staff and leaders
- Professional Practice Model
- Collaborative decision making